Prior to the opening of today's Carrbridge Primary School in 1990, the school for the village was Duthil School - one and a half miles from the village on the Grantown road. Duthil School was built in 1877. There had also been a school at Balnastraid (near Duthil Church) which was the first in the district, dating from the late 18th century. There was also a girls' school at The Glebe before it became church property.

To the west of the Parish, a school at Battan served the children from Battan and Foregin (off the Inverness road near Battan Burn). Beside the ruin of this school is another ruin which was once a hospital. it was used to tend casualties among men working on the building of the Highland Railway.

Farther west there was a school at Inverlaidnan to serve Dalnahaitnach. This school moved to Incharn, farther north, and in 1905 the children moved to a school at Slochd. The latter closed in 1959 and was demolished.

During the first World War (1914-18) 400 German Prisoners of War were in camp at Inverlaidnan. They were employed felling timber.

A company of the Canadian Forestry Corps were stationed in Duthil during the 1939-45 War. They were employed in timber felling. They were known locally as "Newfies" They lived at first in the village hall then built Camp No 1 - Newfy-style log huts built of unfinished treetrunks of young trees, with gaps stopped up with moss.

Many married local girls who accompanied their husbands to Canada after the war. About 10 'Newfs' settled in the Parish.

The 'Newfies' displayed their physique and bravado by jumping off the Old Coffin Bridge into the deep pool - a dangerous act still practised to this day by local youngsters.

In May 1940 the British Government appealed for civilian volunteers to form a HOME GUARD "to assist in the defence of the British Isles if and when the German forces attempted an invasion." Large numbers of men from the Forestry Units volunteered.

By 1942, the less well-defended areas of the North East of Scotland were considered to be vulnerable to invasion and so the military authorities felt that there was a need for a mobile force which could be assembled and moved at very short notice in the event of an invasion. Another appeal for volunteers went out to the foresters and within a fortnight, the 3rd Inverness (Newfoundland) Battalion Home Guard, had a complement of over seven hundred men. It was the only Home Guard Unit composed entirely of men from overseas who were serving in Britain on specialised war work.

All training and exercises were carried out after working hours, at week-ends and during leave. An assault course and rifle range were constructed at an abandoned logging site at Carrbridge. This training ground was used extensively by other Home Guard and regular army units.

The British Home Guard was officially "stood down" on 31st December 1944, and the Newfoundland Battalion was represented at the National Home Guard stand-down parade in London that year.

All members of the Forestry Unit who volunteered and served in the British Home Guard were awarded the Defence Medal

In 1808 a "Plan of the Intended Village at the Bridge of Carr" was drawn out. At this time, the inhabitants of Duthil Parish lived at DALNAHAITNACH, FOREGIN and SLOCHD. The Old Bridge of Carr had been built in 1717 as a foot bridge. . In 1791 a new toll bridge built for wheeled transport, bore first the Kinveachy to Dulsie Bridge military road and from 1803, the Perth - Inverness road as well. The 'T' junction at the new bridge was seen as a "settlement-site-in waiting."

165529 494599134139 660059139 5755145 6366000 nc

The Carrbridge Hotel Stables, now the Old Bridge Garage, an uninterrupted history servicing transportation.

The first building near the Bridge was an Inn. The first Inn-keeper was George Ellis, junior, son of a Huntly weaver who had moved to Grantown to supervise the work at the Grantown -on -Spey Linen Company's factory. There were 70 plots on the 1808 village plan which included one-and-a half-acre plots North of the Bridge. These plots were in effect small crofts on Bogroy land along the new main road ( Inverness Road). The "croft" plots were let quite quickly but by 1860, only about a dozen plots had been developed South of the bridge. It was not until the opening of the Aviemore to Inverness spur of the Highland railway line in 1898 that Carr Bridge advanced from being a hamlet to becoming a village. An old holiday guide refers to Carr Bridge as, "A quiet holiday village on the fringes of nowhere in particular" - but 150 years after the 1808 plan was drawn up, Carr Bridge would be booming as the first ski-centre in Scotland.

Page 2 of 2

cairngorms-logo-260x159-g.png

Next Events

Sep
1

10:00 am - 5:30 pm

Annual Events

Sep
1

10:00 am - 5:30 pm

Social Links

Share This

Follow Us

Search

Back to Top